Light & Shadows
In-Class Field Trips for Grade Four Students
You Light Up My Life!
Students will rotate through 5 stations learning about light sources, how light travels, refraction and reflection, as well as the differences between transparent, translucent, and opaque materials. Working in small groups, students will discover that by using lenses, mirrors, and prisms light can be reflected, refracted or split into colours. They will also create shadows; discuss how they are formed and what makes them move. In addition, they will explore several types of optical devices.
Learner Expectations we aim to cover in this field trip:
Topic D: Light and Shadows
- GLE 4-9
- SLE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Field Trip Information:
Cost (does not include GST): $241.50 per session.
Number of Adult Helpers Required: 5
The field trip can’t happen without them. Check out our FAQ page for hints on where to find your helpers.
Field Trip Length: 2 hours (we will be working through recess)
Facilitator will arrive approximately ½ hour before start time for set up.
- 5 large tables with chairs for the groups to work around.
- We must have easy access to electrical outlets.
- We must be in a room where the light level is adjustable.
- Please have helpers arrive 20 minutes before start time for briefing.